Girls! Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds is a group mentoring program that targets girls in grade 7 and 8 and is designed to provide them with the tools to assist them in making healthy choices related to physical activity, healthy eating and positive self esteem through an interactive curriculum.
Adolescence can be tough - especially for girls who are facing issues in today's world. Acting as a role model, the volunteers support the girls in dealing with the emotional, social and cultural issues they may be facing. This program takes place once a week for 7 weeks during which time the participants take part in fun and active games, healthy snack breaks and discussions aimed at developing self esteem.
The program strives to...
- create appreciation for the benefits of an active, healthy lifestyle
- build understanding of what constitutes healthy eating habits and the risks associated with eating disorders
- promote the importance of positive mental activity and regular physical exercise
- encourage awareness of core values, personal interests, strengths and attributes
- support the development of leadership and life skills
- offer guidance in establishing and maintaining friendships
- and above all, make a difference.
You can make a difference in a girl's life! This program takes place once a week for 7 weeks and each meeting is 2 hours in length. Volunteers are 18-25 and make a minimum 7 week/1 session commitment.
If you would like to learn more about becoming a mentor you can inquire now or contact us. If you are ready to start volunteering please download our Volunteer Information Package and Application
Would you like this program in your school? You can download a registration form now!
Still not sure mentoring is right for you? Try our Online Orientation!
Interested in learning more about our children and youth, volunteers and partners? Click to read "stories from our agency"